Thursday, May 28, 2009

Introduction to Blogging

This is going to be a multi-part series in which I go through steps to create, edit, and eventually customize a blog. If there is a demand for it, I can show you how to host your blog on your own web space (I use GoDaddy hosting). In this example your blog will be hosted at Blogger.com (Blogspot).

What do I mean by "hosting?" When you have information up on the web you have to have the source files for it somewhere. Just like a text document, the Internet is built on a connection of files. In order for you to have a blog up you have to have web "hosting" which Google provides for you through Blogger.com. If you are trying to get noticed, you can purchase your own web hosting and run the files from your own space.

Try to stay with me here: in my case, instead of my URL being everythingobjective.blogspot.com, the URL points to my own web hosting, not Blogger's hosting. So I can control my own URL, and I made it everythingobjective.com (which re-directs to blog.everythingobjective.com). In the future I can go in and make multiple blogs (ie politics, food, technology) and make their urls: tech.everythingobjective.com or politics.everythingobjective.com. Hosting from a site other than Blogger/blogspot.com will help your blog look more credible and enticing from an advertising standpoint.

Ok, first of all you need a Blogger account. Blogger is created by the guys at Google, that's why I chose this publisher to create a "How To" on first. You will need to set up an account with Google, or use your pre-existing Gmail account to login. AIM accounts work also for this login.

Google accounts are actually a great thing to have because of Google Docs. You can create and save documents, spreadsheets and presentations in Google Docs so that you have access to your files from everywhere. I'm actually editing this post in Google Docs in a document that I created in the library a few days ago on. This program comes with some caveats, though.

Formatting is limited so that the online editor only allows you to do minor changes like changing indents or font attributes. What I would recommend is editing the posts in Google Docs, saving frequently, and running the whole document via copy/paste through MS Word for format/ spellcheck issues before posting into the blogger "Compose" section under the Postings tab. Open a notepad document and paste the information into that before Blogger, because for some reason Blogger doesn't understand pasting directly from MS Word.

While blogging, don't be afraid to use the "Add to Dictionary" link in MS Word.

More to this series to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment